Nutrition Service Policy
The Westside Community Schools participates with the National School Lunch Program to provide healthy, tasty and nutritious meals to all students and staff. We are very proud of our program and believe we provide meals that are popular with kids which makes them want to participate in our program.
The Nutrition Services Department also tries very hard to operate the school breakfast and lunch program in a cost effective and efficient manner. This allows us to serve popular items at an affordable price.
The Federal regulations for the school lunch program are very restrictive in a few areas. In addition to very specific guidelines for meal patterns and menus, we are required to adhere to the following rules. If these rules are violated, the school district could be fined or lose its agreement to operate under the National School Lunch Program. The guidelines are as follows:
1. Teachers and other school employees may not bring in lunch for students or a whole class. This includes giving the class a pizza party or ordering food from any other source during the lunch period. Specialty lunches may be ordered from the Nutrition Services Department if a staff member wishes to treat the entire class to lunch.
2. Parents and other parties may not bring lunch in for any student other than their own child. Bringing food from fast food places for parents‚ own children is strongly discouraged and schools have the right to prohibit this action entirely. But, under no circumstances can they bring food for any other children.
3. No food can be sold for the period of one half hour before the published lunch period to one half hour after.
4. Students will be allowed to participate in selecting their lunch items. Students may choose 3, 4 or all 5 of the components served at lunch. Students shall not be required to take an item if they have at least 3 of the 5 items offered.
5. If students are going on the field trip and are to bring a lunch, they may purchase a sack lunch from the school cafeteria. All schools will make accommodations to provide those lunches.
Just a reminder: Food born illnesses are most likely to occur where food is left unrefrigerated for 2 or more hours. This leaves many lunches brought from home at risk. We appreciate your input and suggestions. We want our students to love school lunch.