FAQ & Answers
We have been doing our best to answer questions from parents and staff as they come in, with concerns focused on the COVID-19 pandemic. The following is a great resource if you answer the phone here at ABC or in your building and want to have a guide to reference. As a reminder, it is always a great idea to print out emails from Dr. Lucas/the district regarding COVID-19 updates, as many of these issues are addressed there and serve as a great, updated reference.
As always, we welcome emails at email@example.com and do our best to respond to all messages within 72 hours.
What should I do if I or my child test positive?
Please let school officials know immediately by following the guidelines below.
- For student cases/exposure: email the Westside COVID Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For staff cases/exposure: email the Westside HR Team at email@example.com.
Will I be notified if there is a positive COVID case at my child’s school/in my building?
YES. Westside Community Schools will continue to notify the parents and staff in any building where a positive case is reported. Our process is as follows:
- Work with the family of the person who tested positive, along with adminstrators in that affected building.
- Begin contact tracing to determine when the positive case was last in our buildings, where they where physically, who they came in contact with, and how.
- Notify anyone who should quarantine or self-monitor, based on Douglas County Health guidelines.
- Notify ALL staff members and students in the building where the positve student attends or the positive staff members works.
- Post all information on building websites.
What does ‘direct exposure’ mean?
This is a definition set by Douglas County Health and medical experts. CLICK HERE for the latest COVID-19 guidance from Douglas County Health.
How are you making sure sick kids and staff stay at home?
- Making parents aware of signs/symptoms of COVID019. We have a direct link to our Symptom Screener on our website, as well as community resources with more information about COVID-19.
- Westside Nurses and Health Aides have been trained in what to watch for, and are staying up to date on evolving guidance from medical experts on how to respond if they suspect COVID-19.
- We have a Possible Exposure Form we have made available through Human Resources to help provide proactive response information to our staff and administrators. We are also working closely with our employees to make sure COVID-19 testing information and coverage is readily available.
- Our Director of Student Services follows up with families/students who have reported symptoms and/or absences related to COVID-19.
Are masks still required?
YES. Masks are mandated by Board policy in all Westside Community Schools facilities. There are times when we allow mask breaks for students and staff while eating or at designated times and we work to ensure social distancing and other proactive measures during those situations.