Current service learning opportunities
Click here for a list of non-profit organizations that offer service learning opportunities.
Click here–WHS Service Learning Opportunities – Jan. 28, 2020–for a list of additional service opportunities within the community.
Service May Be Performed in the Following Ways:
- School club or activity group;
- Approved agency or organization within the community;
- Student- or class-initiated projects within the school or community;
- Religious or civic organizations
- Activities on behalf of specific political candidates or issues, generally limited to 20 hours.
*The above guidelines were developed by a committee of parents, faculty members, and administrators who worked during the summer of 1993 to incorporate the ideas and recommendations of the entire Westside staff into a viable, workable graduation requirement and program.
1) All hours MUST be turned in by the appropriate deadline. Hours turned in after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Deadlines for the year are as follows for the 2019-2020 school year:
September 6 — Summer Hours Deadline
January 24 — First Semester Deadline
April 17 — Seniors FINAL DEADLINE
May 8 — Second Semester Deadline for all other students
NOTE: Honors hours are due April 3.
2) Limitations on hours:
The following activities have a limit of 20 hours maximum. All remaining hours done in each category are considered honor service hours.
- Political Campaigns
- Family OR Individual Service (babysitting, routine chores, or assisting an able person do not count. A “need” MUST be present.
- 8 hours maximum per day for extended service projects (i.e. camp counselors, mission trips, day long projects) Travel time or sightseeing time is not included.
3) Hours must be PRE-approved by homeroom teacher!
4) Only hours for NON-PROFIT organizations are acceptable.
5) In order to receive a pass:
- First semester: Juniors 50 hours, Seniors 70 hours
- Second semester: Juniors 60 hours, Seniors 80 hours
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Service Learning?
Is Service Learning a graduation requirement?
Are there Service Learning opportunities through school?
What is the process for gaining Service Learning credit?
How often is PowerSchool updated?
Can my 8th grade student earn hours prior to entering high school?
How do I get a form in the summer?
Who do I contact if the hours listed on PowerSchool are incorrect?