Westside Community Schools Department of Special Services, in collaboration with local agency partners, has welcomed parents of children with a disability to join other parents to connect, collaborate, and navigate the world of special education and disability services. With the support of the district, parent-led sessions offer caregivers an opportunity to learn, ask questions, and advocate on behalf of their child. From topics such as school-based services and IEP meeting preparation to post-secondary transition and community-based resources, each session will be structured to both share information and allow for parent dialogue. All sessions, intended for parents of all ages, include a 45-minute presentation followed by approximately 30 minutes of facilitated Q&A.
2021/2022 Parent Navigator SessionsAll sessions are hosted from 11:00 am-12:15 pm in-person at the Westside West Campus (3534 S. 108th Street. Omaha, NE 68144) or available virtually via WebEx.
- Session #1: Making the Most of Parent-Teacher Conferences - September 24th
- Session #2: Understanding My Child's IEP Progress Report - October 29th
- Session #3: Clubs, Activities & Opportunities for My Child - November 19th
- Session #4: What Your Child's IEP Manager Wishes You Knew - December 11th
- Session #5: Community Resources & Partnerships - January 28th
- Session #6: Extended School Year: Eligibility Basics - February 25th
- Session #7: Preparing for Grade-Level Transition - March 25th
- Session #8: What if We Disagree? Tips for Advocacy & Resolution - April 29th
- Session #9: Need to Knows About Summer Opportunities - May 20th
For more information or to RSVP to upcoming sessions, please contact email@example.com or call 402-390-2126.