As we approach the winter season, we want to ensure that you are well informed about our procedures for inclement weather days. Safety is our top priority, and we want to be prepared for any weather-related disruptions to our school schedule. If WCS decides to have school on a day that you feel is too dangerous, please do what you think is best for your child(ren) and keep them home.
When inclement weather is expected, our administrative team closely monitors weather forecasts and road conditions. The decision to close or delay school will be made with the safety of our students, staff, and families in mind. We will strive to make these decisions as early as possible to give you adequate notice. Our goal is to make the decision no later than 5:30 a.m. the morning of the school day in question.
In the event of a school closure or a two-hour late start we will communicate this information through the following channels:
- District website: We will update our website with the latest information.
- Email: We will send out email notifications to all registered school families.
- Automated Phone Calls: We will use our automated calling system to inform you about the status of the school day.
- Automated Text Messages: We will use our automated messaging system to inform you about the status of the school day.
- District Social Media Platforms: We will update our District social media platforms (Facebook, 'X' (Twitter), and Instagram) with the latest information.
- Local News: We will notify local television and radio stations to announce school closures or two-hour late starts.
Options for Inclement Weather Days:
School Closure: If we decide to close the school due to inclement weather, no in-person or remote learning will take place on that day. It will be treated as a snow day, and any missed lessons or assignments will be rescheduled. All before and after school activities, meetings, and practices will be canceled.
Two-Hour Late Start: In some cases, we may decide to delay the school's opening by two hours. This will allow road conditions to improve. Buses will operate on the two-hour delayed schedule. Please note that before-school activities, meetings, and practices will be canceled on Two-Hour Late Start days. When operating on a two-hour late start schools will open at the following times:
- Club 66: No morning club, there will be afternoon club
- Morning-Only Preschool: No school
- Full-Day Preschool: 10:30 a.m. start
- Afternoon-Only Preschool: Regular start
- Elementary Schools: 10:30 a.m. start
- Middle School: 10:00 a.m. start
- WHS & WHS West Campus: 10:00 a.m. start
We understand the challenges inclement weather can pose, and we appreciate your flexibility and understanding during these times. Our priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of our entire school community.
If you are a Westside Community Schools staff member, click here.