Service May Be Performed in the Following Ways:
- School club or activity group;
- Approved agency or organization within the community;
- Student- or class-initiated projects within the school or community;
- Religious or civic organizations
- Activities on behalf of specific political candidates or issues, generally limited to 20 hours.
*The above guidelines were developed by a committee of parents, faculty members, and administrators who worked during the summer of 1993 to incorporate the ideas and recommendations of the entire Westside staff into a viable, workable graduation requirement and program.
Hours required by Grade Level: Seniors: 50 hours, Juniors: 60 hours, Sophomores: 80 hours, Freshmen: 80 hours
Hours must be PRE-approved by homeroom teacher!
Only hours for NON-PROFIT organizations are acceptable.
Limitations on hours: The following activities have a limit of 20 hours maximum. All remaining hours done in each category are considered honor service hours.
- Political Campaigns
- Family OR Individual Service (babysitting, routine chores, or assisting an able person do not count. A “need” MUST be present.
- 8 hours maximum per day for extended service projects (i.e. camp counselors, mission trips, day long projects) Travel time or sightseeing time is not included.
Westside High School uses x2VOL to track service learning hours required for graduation. All students have access to an x2VOL account and can log their service hours into their account on their school issued iPad or on their mobile device. The following instructions have been put together to provide students with an easy way to log in and track their hours. Please click on the links below to view video tutorials or get answers regarding commonly asked questions.
- Student information has already been uploaded by WHS, so you simply need to register following the steps outlined in the video.
- When selecting your password for x2VOL, it is recommended that you use your school password so you can remember it when you log in.
Why are my hours not showing up in PowerSchool?
Westside High School will do a QUARTERLY import of service learning hours from x2VOL to PowerSchool. This means that newly added service hours will show up in PowerSchool around the following times:
- End of 1st semester
- End of 2nd semester
Why are my hours denied?
Hours may be denied by your school administrators for any number of reasons including not having hours verified by the organization for which you complete service for. If your hours have been denied, please be sure to check your entry to see if any comments were added by your administrator. You can do this by clicking on the "Edit" button next to the entry in your Activity Log page and scroll down to the comments section.
How do I edit my entry?
If you need to edit your entry, click on the Add Hours green button on your Dashboard. This will bring you to your "Activity Log" page. Click on the "Edit" button next to the entry you would like to edit. If your entry has already been approved, you may not be able to edit some of the fields.
Why are my hours not approved yet?
If your service learning has not been approved, it is because it is currently being evaluated or your hours have not been verified by the organization you complete service for.. If you feel that your entry is taking an unusually long time to be approved, you may want to check on it.You can review your entry details by clicking the EDIT button to make sure it is applied to the proper goal, has the correct date, and other details in order for your school to approve it quicker.